If full-frame compact system cameras get you excited, the Leica SL will almost certainly be of interest. This beautifully designed camera not only looks amazing, but the specs are also impressive. At over £8000 with the new 24-90mm lens it’s expensive, but that’s unlikely to put off Leica fans who have been eagerly waiting for a camera of this type from the manufacturer. Here’s the press release for the Leica SL (Typ 601) with full specs and product images.
The Leica SL (Typ 601) mirrorless system camera offers an impressive set of specifications and innovative features. The camera’s 24 MP full-frame CMOS sensor and perfectly matched components – from the premium-quality SL lenses to the built-in electronic viewfinder – guarantee exceptional imaging performance for professional photographers.
EyeRes viewfinder and touchscreen display
Developed specifically for the Leica SL, the electronic viewfinder is the first of its kind to feature Leica EyeRes technology. With an imperceptible latency time, an impressive resolution of 4.4 million pixels and magnification reminiscent of a medium format camera, this electronic viewfinder offers an entirely new visual experience and numerous advantages: the final image is visible in the viewfinder before the shutter release is pressed, which enables optimum control over the final picture in any situation. The EyeRes viewfinder is activated simply by looking through it. In addition, the Leica SL features a 2.95” back panel display with a viewing angle of up to 170°, enabling reliable viewing of pictures and efficient touchscreen menu navigation.
Maestro II processor
The high-performance Maestro II Series processor guarantees that photographers will never miss even the fastest-moving subject, and that the camera responds instantaneously to all commands. Combined with the 2GB buffer memory, the processor makes it possible to capture consecutive exposures at rates of up to 11 frames per second at full 24 MP resolution, and 4K video with a frame rate of 30 frames per second. Pictures can be saved simultaneously to an SD card in both JPEG and DNG format, in line with the fast UHS II standard. Thanks to this exceptionally fast processor, the Leica SL achieves the best performance currently possible in the professional camera category, and further highlights the innovative nature of the camera.
24MP CMOS Sensor
The Leica SL’s 24 MP CMOS full-frame sensor guarantees impressive dynamic range, excellent contrast rendition, exceptional sharpness, the highest resolution, and noise-free images in almost all lighting conditions. The shutter provides speeds from 30 minutes to 1/8000 sec. The sensor reveals its full potential in combination with Leica SL lenses, especially in available-light situations, and captivates users with atmospheric exposures in superior quality at ISO settings up to a maximum of 50,000. Furthermore, the Leica SL is optimised for use with Leica M-Lenses and, in addition to supporting all their functionality, delivers the excellent picture quality with which Leica has been synonymous for more than 100 years.
Professional video in cinematic resolution
The Leica SL is much more than a professional still-picture camera with video recording capability: it fulfils even the most stringent demands of moviemakers as a fully-fledged video camera. Thanks to its 24MP CMOS sensor and high-performance Maestro II series processor, the Leica SL enables the production of professional videos in 4K resolution. Videos can be recorded in UHD at 30 frames per second or even in Cine4K at 24 frames per second.
In full HD, the Leica SL records video at up to 120 frames per second and makes use of the entire sensor area. Here, the logical and intuitive handling of the camera makes a clear distinction between still and motion picture recording. As soon as the camera is in video mode, the display shows only the relevant information for video, such as safe area, aspect ratio, zebra function or the recording level of the microphone. An optional audio adapter allows the user to connect an external microphone and the audio recording level can be set without accessing the menu. Videos can be output in 4:2:2 10-bit format in 4K resolution over HDMI 1.4.
From the beginning, resilience and durability were a key focus in the development of the Leica SL. Body components machined from solid aluminium, and precisely-engineered seals around the controls and in the lenses, provide optimum protection for the sensitive technology inside against dust, moisture and spray. Furthermore, the integrated ultrasonic sensor cleaning function removes dust and dirt from the sensor, when required. The glass covering the back panel display is extremely scratch-resistant and features an anti-reflex coating. All these properties make the camera an ideal tool for use in the challenging conditions faced by professional photographers on a daily basis.
A new generation of lenses
The combination of outstanding imaging performance and the fastest autofocus currently available makes working with the Leica SL an entirely new experience, and enables photographers to produce images at a quality level never before seen in 35 mm format. In line with Leica’s high standards of production, the new Leica SL lenses are distinguished by superior optical and mechanical precision.
With its wide range of focal lengths and high speed, the Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24–90 mm f/2.8–4 ASPH. is the ideal standard zoom lens in the Leica SL-System portfolio, and will be available at launch. Following this comes the fast Leica APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90–280 mm f/2.8–4, and the current lens portfolio is rounded off by the Leica Summilux-SL 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH. – the new reference lens for this focal length. Additional Leica SL lenses will follow.
The Leica SL-System gives photographers access to almost all Leica lenses ever made. For example, all lenses for the Leica T camera can be used without an adapter. In addition, appropriate adapters allow Leica S, M, and R system lenses and lenses from other manufacturers to be mounted on the Leica SL.
The Leica SL (Typ 601) body will be available in the UK from 16th Nov 2015, and has a suggested retail price of £5,050 including VAT.
The Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24–90 mm f/2.8–4 ASPH. zoom lens is scheduled to be available at the same time, with a suggested retail price of £3,150 including VAT.
The Leica APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90280mm f/2.8–4 will be available in Q2 2016, and the Leica Summilux-SL 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. will be available in Q4 2016. Prices will be announced nearer to the date of availability.
For more information visit www.uk.leica-camera.com
- Type: 24 MP CMOS-Sensor (24 x 36 mm)
- Resolution: Full Frame (24 MP): 6000 x 4000 Pixel, APS-C (10 MP): 3936 x 2624
- Filter: IR-Filter, no Lowpass Filter
- ISO: ISO 50 – ISO 50,000
- Sensor cleaning: Provided
- Type: Leica Maestro II series
- Internal RAM: 2 GB: 33 DNGs or 30 JPEGs and DNGs
- Image data format: JPEG, DNG
- Colour depth: 14 bit (DNG), 8 bit (JPEG)
- JPEG: Colour Space Adobe RGB, ECI RGB, sRGB
- File format: MP4, MOV
- Resolution: 4K (4096 x 2160) @ 24 fps; 4K (3840 x 2160) @ 25 and 30 fps; 1080 @
- 24, 25, 30, 50, 60, 100 and 120 fps; 720 @ 24, 25, 30, 50, 60, 100 and
- 120 fps
- Bit rate: 8 bit (recording); 10 bit (HDMI not recording)
- Colour sampling: 4:2:2/10 bit (HDMI only); 4:2:0/8 bit (recording on SD card)
- Video: V-Log L gamma selectable
- Audio: Manual/Auto; Stereo microphone, 48 kHz, 16 bit; wind noise elimination
- Audio external via Audio-Adapter: Audio-In (3.5 mm phone jack), Audio-Out (3.5 mm phone jack) Movie length: Max. duration: 29 min, Max. size: 4 GB
- Resolution: SXAG, 4.4 MP
- Size: 0.66”
- Eye point: 20 mm
- Field of view: 37°
- Magnification: x 0.80 (With 50 mm lens at infinity, -1 dpt)
- Frame coverage: 100%
- Diopter correction: – 4 to +2
- Eye sensor: Yes
- Operating Modes: Video- and Photo-Live-View separated; Frame rate: up
- to 60 fps; Exposure simulation available, Optional information: Focus
- Peaking, Histogram, Clipping/Zebra, Level, Grid Overlay (3 x 3, 6 x 4),
- Aspect Ratio (1.33:1; 1.66:1; 1.78:1; 1.85:1; 2.35:1; 2.4:1), Safe Area
- (80 %; 90 %; 92.5 %; 95 %)
- SD 1 slot (UHS II) with maximum writing speed 100 MB/s, SD 2 slot
- (UHS I) with maximum writing speed 30 MB/s
- Type: Contrast AF
- Focus modes: AF-S (focus priority), AF-C (shutter priority), MF, Touch-AF
- AF modes: Static, Dynamic (tracking), Auto (face detection)
- AF size: Point, Field, Zone (9 Fields)
- AF steps: 37 or 49 Fields
- AF Assist Lamp: Built in
- Exposure Modes: Program Mode (P), Shutter speed priority mode (T),
- Aperture priority mode (A) and manual mode (M)
- Exposure Metering
- Centre-weighted, Multi zone, Spot
- Exposure Compensation: ±3 EV in 1/3 or 1/2 EV-steps
- Exposure Bracketing: 3/5/7 images in 1/2/3 aperture steps; additional direct JPEG-HDR
- Preset Auto, Daylight 5200K, Cloudy 6000K, Shade 7000K, Tungsten
- 3200K, HMI 5600K, Fluorescent warm 4000K, Fluorescent cool 4500K,
- Flash 5400K, Greycard, Manual colour temperature 2000K to 11500K
- Type: Focal plain shutter
- Drive Modes: Single, Continuous slow S (4 fps), Continuous medium M (7 fps),
- Continuous fast F (11 fps), Self timer 2 s, Self timer 12 s, Interval,
- Exposure Bracketing, Time exposures up to 30 min
- Shutter speed: 1/8000 s to 60 s, time exposures up to 30 min, Max. frame rate 11 fps
- Warranty: 2 years or 200,000 releases
- Interface: Standard X-jack, Hot shoe with Sync. and TTL-Mode contacts
- X-Synchronisation: 1/250 s
- Built in, IEEE 802.11 b/g/n (2.5 GHz)
- Built in, Automatic time and date, Sensitivity < 1°
- Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery, Nominal voltage 8.4 V, Capacity at
- least 1860 mAh; Lifetime per charge (CIPA): approx. 400 shots;
- Charging time: approx. 180 min;
- Charger: 100–240 V 50/60 Hz 0.25 A with adapters
- 2.95” Touch Back light LED with Anti-fingerprint and Anti-scratch coating;
- 1.04 Mio. pixels; Format 3:2; View angle: 170°; Colours: 16 Million;
- Frame coverage: 100%
- 1.28” highly reflective monochrome LCD; 128 x 128 dots; View angle
- 120°; Anti-fingerprint coating
- Material: Milled aluminium
- Sealing: Dust/Spray water sealing
- USB 3.0 Micro Type B; HDMI Type A; Multi connector adapter for Audio-
- Out 3.5 mm/Audio-In 3.5 mm; Multi Connector cable release; ISO
- accessory shoe with centre and control contacts for flash units; Standard
- X-jack; Multifunctional interface in baseplate for optional handgrip
- Tripod thread: A 1/4 DIN 4503 (1/4″) with anti-twist locking pin
Dimensions / Weight:
- 147 x 104 x 39 mm (WxHxD)
- Approx. 771/847 g (with/without battery)
- Working conditions: Approx. 0°– 40°C, max. 85 % humidity
Included in the box:
- Camera body, camera strap, lens mount cap, battery, battery charger
- with international adapter, USB 3.0 cable, user manual, warranty card,
- Leica lens cleaning cloth
- Remote Control (USB): Leica Image Shuttle SL; Remote Control (Wi-Fi):
- Leica SL App (Android/iOS)
- Two years